Parlez-vous français?

April 22, 2010

Le Premier Post

For my very first blog post I though I would just describe a little bit about my self and how I came to be a self describe "French Badger".

Like it says at the top I was born and raised in Wisconsin, I was born in Madison but spent the large majority of my childhood growing up in a suburb just outside the state capitol.  Being a Wisconsin girl, I was brought up to bleed green and gold for my Packers, blue for my Brewers, and red for my Badgers.  I believe I epitomize the stereotypical Wisconsinite with my love for cheese, milk, brats, and anything fried :).  I am currently a student at the University of Wisconsin - Madison, and while where I had planned on ending up, I couldn't imagine spending my college years anywhere else!  That's where the "Badger" part comes from.

I grew up in a very privileged suburb and attended a school system where I received a very good public education.  We were first exposed to foreign languages in sixth grade.  We had to take Spanish for half the semester and French for the other half.  Unfortunately I would not get the chance to study a language again until high school.  In high school, to a teenage girl, the most important people are you friends.  My two best friends where taking French and of course I wanted to be just like them.  I also wanted to be different because EVERYONE at my high school took Spanish.  From the firs minute I stepped into that class, I knew that French would be a much bigger part of my life than just a language I was forcing myself to learn.  Ever since France, the French language, and culture have stolen my heart.  That's where the "French" comes from.

While the refined world of cafes and haute couture couldn't be more different from America's Dairyland, the two worlds are both very much a part of who I am.  I am proud of my Midwestern upbringing and couldn't imagine growing up anywhere else.  I also look forward to a future filled with travel and the study of other cultures, particularly French.

I hope everyone enjoys reading my blog and get a taste for what it's truly like to live the life of a French Badger.

No comments:

Post a Comment