Parlez-vous français?

March 20, 2011

Manly Men and Cultural Enrichment

Day 11 (Thurs Jan 6) - Manly Beach

Today was beach day!  It was the perfect day to go to the beach too.  We took the famous Manly ferry over to Manly Beach.  Manly was probably my favorite.  You get off the ferry and there is a very nice boardwalk that you take to get to the beach.  The weird thing about Manly was that there were pine trees on the beach.  It was very unexpected.  We rented umbrellas to have some shade on the beach.  After lunch Dad joined us on the beach.  There were warnings about tides and jellyfish so we could only go swimming in a certain area.  It was a fun lazy day at the beach.  I wish I could spend everyday at the beach!














Day 12 (Fri Jan 7) - Art Galleries, Opera House, Market by Moonlight

Today was Art and Culture Day!  Since it was Melissa's last day so we decided to do what she wanted.  We went to different art galleries around The Rocks.  Her favorite was Ken Dome.  There was also a shop that sold merchandise with his prints on it.  Mom and Melissa both bought some of his prints.  After the art galleries, we decided to take a behind the scenes tour of the Opera House.  Our tour guide was very theatrical.  It was fun to learn about the Opera House and see the inside.  I really wanted to be able to see a show there but unfortunately it didn't work out.  That night we went to the market that is held during the summer in the Rocks.  It was really neat to see all the local artists displaying their art.  There was even one young artist who was featured in a Wisconsin newspaper.  It started raining so we had to cut our shopping trip short.  On our way out we picked up some chocolate covered strawberries.  Since it was Melissa's last day, she decided she wanted to walk across the harbour bridge with Mom and Dad.  I wasn't feeling well so I went back to the apartment early.

Day 13 (Sat Jan 8) - Melissa leaves, Manly

Melissa was leaving today and when Dad took her to the airport, Mom and I went to Manly.  Dad met us there but we left soon because the weather was starting to rain.  Today was a VERY low key day.

Day 14 (Sun Jan 9) - French breakfast, Day Market, Watson's Bay, Walk across the bridge

Today we decided to have breakfast at a little French cafe.  It was very yummy and you know how I LOVE my french food!  We then decided to walk around the Rocks Market during the day.  There was so much cool stuff.  My favorite was either the 3D stamps or the framed strips of film from movies.  We got a present for baby Westley there too.  After spending too much money at the market :) we decided to take some ferry rides.  The one place we hadn't seen yet was Watson's Bay.  We went out there and there was a cute ferry landing that reminded us of the one in Merrimac.  They even had ice cream and everything.  We went back to the city for dinner and decided to walk across the Harbour Bridge since I hadn't done that yet.  We got all the way across and decided to check out Luna Park.  I had seen it on the Mary-Kate and Ashley movie "Our Lips are Sealed".  We got some treats for our walk back across the bridge.  We took some pretty pictures of the skyline and Opera House.
















































Day 15 (Mon Jan 10) - Packer game, Shopping

Today was the day of the Packer playoff game versus the Falcons.  I had already missed two Packer games and seeing as how this might be there last of the season (thankfully it wasn't, Super Bowl Champs 2011!!) I wasn't about to miss it.  I had Melissa skype me the game from home.  Since the connection in the apartment was horrible, I went with Dad to his office.  I was fairly tame with my screaming and only had to be told to be quiet once.  After the game, Mom and I went shopping! I got a lot of great buys.  The prices in Australia were usually pretty high but we found some new great buys.  My new favorite store by far is Cotton On.  For our last meal, we decided to go to the Belgium bar next door.  They are famous for their scallops so I just had to try some.  I got mine a l'escargot.  They were prepared with garlic and butter and they were sure good.

Day 16 (Tues Jan 11) - Last Day
Today was the last day of our Sydney Adventure.  Mom and I left that afternoon to return home.  The plane rides were all uneventful.  We had to walk outside in Denver and it was so cold!  We wanted to head back to warm Sydney.  It was nice to finally be home though and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to travel to Australia.  It was a once in a lifetime trip that I will surely never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment